Missives from D.C., the the land land of of double double speak speak.

Wednesday, June 02, 2004

WNTW Diaries Pt. 2: What not to Where?

They're putting us up in Manhattan, near battery park. Sounds like a nice hotel (Not the Algonquin, but hey this is cable), and it could have been a lot worse. The studios and hotel could have been in Rockaway or -EEP- Jersey City.

We are currently having a hard time explaining to them that I'm not getting on a stupid hop-jet to fly 250 miles. Let me explain, no, there is too much, lemme sum up:

1. I hate to fly, this fear predates 9/11 and probably goes back to the first of my family that ever fell out of a tree. Quoth 'The Tick': 'Gravity is a harsh mistress'.

2. More to the point, the train is a beautiful, elegant way to travel, and for a 6'3" 200-something pound behemoth such as myself, it's the most comfortable.

3. I will be carrying all the clothes, hats, belts and shoes I own. I may be a dude, but that's still more than will fit in an overhead compartment.

4. When you factor in travelling to Dulles or BWI airport, plus the 2 hour 'sure you're not a terrorist?' hoedown, plus flying time, plus taxiing time, plus luggage retrieval time, plus taxi flagging time, plus travel time from LaGuardia or JFK into Manhattan and it's actually longer to fly than to take the train. I live less than a mile from Union station and I'm going to be staying less than a mile from Penn station. With the train, you show up 15 minutes before hand with as much luggage as you can muster, get on in downtown DC, get off at the bottom of Manhattan. Also, at no point on the trip will you plummet out of the sky.

So BBC/TLC, if you're listening, I will pony up the extra 30 bucks per ticket to take the train.